It's
August 2013 and I am stepping off of a plane into an airport much like the one
in Toronto or Vancouver. The only difference is this airport resides in
Copenhagen, Denmark. I walk through the terminal and head to pick up my
luggage. Just outside the luggage belts I spot a young Greenlandic girl
searching for a recognizable face in the crowd. It is my friend Ivalu
who I met last summer. She turns towards me as she realizes who I am. All of a
sudden my bags are forgotten and I run at her yelling out "ZODIAC BUDDDDDDYYYY" at the top of my lungs
not caring who hears me. We both meet in the middle engulfing each other in a
hug strong enough to crush another person. She helps me with my bag and we exit
the terminal. At least that is how I imagine it will go when I see her again.
Ivalu and I met on one of the most unusual expeditions
available to high school students. Students on Ice Arctic Expedition 2012
allowed two young girls from two totally different countries to become best
friends for life. It was an experience that changed my view of everything I
know and see around me. This is a trip that took me to the utmost bounds of
human thought and challenged how I imagined the world. It allowed me to explore
who I am and who I will be in the future. Students on Ice Arctic Expedition
2012 was an indescribable and unforgettable experience in the Canadian and
Greenlandic north.
Each
year since the summer between Grade 9 and Grade 10 I travelled to some of the
most unusual places on earth and met some of the most sensational people. First
it was Ecuador where I helped build a school, explored the cloud forest and
visited the capital, Quito. Next year I travelled to Lakehead University in Thunder Bay, Ontario. It was here that I met a wide array
of genius students from across Canada and Saudi Arabia. This past year I spent
two weeks on a boat in Northern Canada and Greenland exploring the effects of
climate change on our country and our world. Each opportunity has brought new
friends, a new view on life and a new appreciation of the world just outside my
door. It was through four incredible organisations that I was able to
experience these adventures, Me to We, Girl Guides of Canada, Shad Valley and
Students on Ice. Go out into the world and explore what it has to offer, you
will find your own experiences of a lifetime.
No comments:
Post a Comment